LET'S TALK ABOUT ECZEMA (part 1): MY STORY





Oh boy, don't I just love smiling! 😊😊
It's the one thing that I can do so effortlessly. My smile is my signature.
If I genuinely smile at you (which happens 95% of the time, coz that other 5% might be a forced smile, we gotta be real here πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚) it's an indicator that we're okay, everything is good.
However, it's said that just because someone keeps on smiling, it doesn't mean that everything in their life is okay and I am not an exception.
In my mind, I had always thought that I had no story to tell, till sometime last year. I also believe that most people thought and some are still thinking that I don't have a story until they get to read this.
I wanted to talk about it on my blog. I had started writing and saved it on the Drafts list. It's been ages since then and I decided to revisit it today 😁
From around February, Ariela Movement were doing #ArielaStories and I was approached to give my story. I felt anxious but I knew that I definitely wanted to share it. Let's say that Ariela Stories paved the way for this article.
A number of people who read it were elated with the level of vulnerability as well as the aspect of self acceptance. There are those who gave their feedback to me, others shared their own stories, some living in Kenya others living outside Kenya and that touched my heart because it reminded me of one key statement that we all need to keep in mind,  I AM NOT ALONE.
Here we go, what would you do if you woke up one day and your skin is abnormally itchy, inflamed and scaly? Would you freak out?  Cry? Get depressed? Find a witch doctor? Go to hospital Or wait for a few more days to see what happens next?
It was barely two weeks after our History class trip to the coast. We had lots of fun visiting the historical sites and had even more fun at the beach 🏊 🌴
Then one morning I noticed some pimple-like structures, they were itchy and reddish. They were on my face (especially the area around the nose, cheeks and forehead), both arms and both legs. I thought that probably I had a food allergy and that the pimples would disappear after some time. A week later, it only got worse. This time, there was a whitish fluid, that would be considered as pus. It got more itchy and painful when I 'scratched' to ease the "kamwithua" πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ (or rather the itchiness, for my audience who might not have understood that Greek word).
I knew that this called for medical attention and so I paid a visit to the school dispensary. Y'all who've been through boarding schools, you know that every time you get into that dispensary, despite the condition you are suffering from, ibuprofen (commonly known as brufen) and piriton had to be on top of the drug list.
I got my fair share of the universal tablets and some ointment. That wasn't the end. The next thing that happened was the beginning of a real disaster. The nurse sterilized my legs and arms (by using methylated spirit and a cotton swab). The idea was to dry up the pus-filled pimples. For sure the pus cleared but my skin became extremely scaly and dry. We had to stop the sterilisation but I still took the medication.
Meanwhile, my levels of anxiety, worry were way too high. Some of my classmates actually joked about the whole issue. That perhaps someone 'collected the sand beneath my feet when we went swimming at the beach". That was terrifying and sounded like the truth for some time.
Lemme digress for a minute here... We've all heard about the weird things that happen in the Coast region, since waaaay beeeck. How people turn into various animals, mwanzo ya kugeuka paka ndio yajulikana sanaawanasema paka wa Mombasa si pakafikiria mara mbili kabla ya kumfukuza.. mara there are people who look at you with evil eyes that bring you misfortunes.
A week after applying the ointment and taking the tablets, the rashes were gone and I thought to myself, "well that was nothing serious".
Fast forward to the end of 2011, the rashes were back and this time round they got extremely itchy and had some whitish pus like fluid. It got so bad that I'd wake up at night and scratch to ease the itchiness. What happened next was that my arms and legs started becoming scaly, extremely dry. At that point, my parents tried to get medical assistance from every qualified doctor they knew of. For about a year, I was treated for bacterial and at times fungal infections. But each time I took the medication , the rashes would disappear then reappear a week or so after finishing the  medication. Miraculously, the pimples on my face and arms somehow disappeared and this was a great relief. Now we were left with the ones on my legs. They only got worse.
I got to campus and for sure, dressing up was such a task for me. My wardrobe was full of long flowing dresses, stockings (like a million pairs) and reasonably short dresses and skirts (that I wore with the stockings). My people,  wearing short dresses and skirts was a luxury that I could not afford. I was known for my long dresses, which I absolutely  loved because  they gave me the security I strongly craved. They were my safe haven. I risked being referred to as a "savedee". But that didn't mean much as long as my "unsightly legs" were covered.
During the second semester, I got to meet a lady in campus who also had a similar condition. She was on her way to hospital for an appointment with the Dermatologist. That was my breakthrough people. Tuesdays were the days for Skin clinic. I was eager to attend the clinic. Come the next Tuesday, I was patiently seated at the waiting area. My turn came and I got to meet the Dermatologist. He did some examination, took a sample of the pus from the pimples and asked me to come for the results after a week. A week later, I was back and guess what! All along I was being treated for the wrong thing. I was treated for fungal/bacterial infections while the issue was actually Mild Eczema. Though I didn't quite understand what that jargon meant, it was quite a relief that at last I found out exactly what had been troubling me. I had regular clinic visits and was on medication (I'm glad that at the University, I received the medical attention almost free of charge. Skin conditions are damn expensive to manage outchea). Among the ointments I used were the Mediven N and Mediven S that people nowadays are using for skin bleaching. Can you imagine! And true to it, when I was done with using the ointments, the pigmentation of my legs was lighter than the other body parts. I didn't quite like it. I wanted the pimples gone. Not my tint 😬😬

LOWEST MOMENTS

About three months later, the rashes were clearing up but left behind black spots and a lighter pigmentation of my skin like I said earlier.
All this made me so self conscious.
I hated it when people stared at me and gave me that "Gosh, what happened to your legs " look.
At times,  especially when it was hot, my face would start flaring up no matter how many times I moisturised it.
Worse still,  my scalp was itchy, scaly and was flaky. Flakes ain't your normal dandruff.
People kept asking why my face was dry, why when I was plaited, my scalp was dry even after oiling, why I wore what I wore.
I couldn't find the courage to tell them why.
There are times I thought that probably my skin compromised my beauty.
I remember right after high school, I was helping out at a filling station. So this bodaboda guy kept staring at me, I had worn a short dress then. So he whispers to his friend (which wasn't really whispering coz I heard all that he said) in Swahili "unajua watu wa AIDS wanakuwa na pimples Kama hizi" (AIDS patients have similar lesions/pimples).
That statement broke my heart. It showed me just how cruel humans can be. That evening when I got home, I cried and told my mommy that I wouldn't go back to work, I wouldn't wear clothes that show my legs. She did comfort me, made me feel better. That's when the idea of long dreses, stockings and jean trousers was actually born.

LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL

I remember one particular incidence, I was attending a Ladies hangout and I got a little late as I had to pick up my Shea Butter in town (a big thank you to Sheth Naturals, you've been so instrumental, as well as all other beauty products companies that have come to the rescue of people struggling with these skin conditions).
While we were having some good time, there were two ladies seated behind me. I had placed my shea butter at my side and they noticed it. That's how our conversation began. They thought it was for my hair (πŸ™‹my narutalista sistas) as they all had natural hair. But I explained to them what it was for. That was the first time I was being so vulnerable with a stranger (two in this case) about me and Eczema. And Alas! They also had the same condition. Don't get me wrong. Please don't. But for a moment I was happy. Happy that I found "my people". I wasn't the only one living with Eczema. It was a strong bond built on a common base within seconds. It felt like we were triplets in the Eczema world. We shared our stories, how it began, what we've been through and the products that worked for us (Wetheo and Muthoni, you are loved).

For so long, I allowed false ideas into my head. It got worse coz I would over think about every little thing, the comments people made, the looks they gave me etc. I believed that I don't have the best skin, that having the spots compromised my beauty.
But I thank God that the narrative has changed. Once I started believing for myself that I'm fearfully and wonderfully made, then the lies started fading away.
Today, I am confident in my own skin. Yoh, peeps!! Your girl now wears reasonably short dresses and skirts (with no stockings) Hallelujah πŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ
It never bothers me when people stare at my legs and I feel bold when someone asks me to explain what happened to my skin. I no longer walk like I'm feeling ashamed of myself. I do not have a problem with my legs. If anything, the person who gives me a weird look, is the one who has a problem (I don't mean to be rude but it's the truth).
Self acceptance has truly worked for me among other things.  These include products for my skin regimen, which I'll talk about in the next article (you already have too much to read now πŸ˜€).

Sending hugs and love to all people out there battling/living with different skin conditions.
You matter.
You are beautiful.
You are lovely.
You are not alone, even if you feel alone.

Love,
Wanjah Nyagah
πŸ’•πŸ’•

Comments

  1. This is such a bold and vulnerable testimony. I thank God that you've come this far and you've grown through your mountain. You're beautiful and I have never noticed anything with your skin because you're just a ray of sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Njeri 😭😭😭
      Thank you love. You so kind.
      Thank God for the strength and for allowing me to let my story be a glimpse of His glory πŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ

      Delete
  2. You have always been very beautiful dear...with or without your eczema (u know what I mean)...I remember in first year when we walking n people looking at u...it's been a long journey, am finally glad that u know how precious n beautiful u are....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asante sweetheart 😊😊
      Yes I know what you mean. Thank you for being there for me through the journey. Haha this is crazy, but I found comfort when with you coz Tue sense of style was similar to mine, back then 😝😝

      Delete
  3. That must have been a tough journey but I'm glad you came out stronger and more beautiful. Quite encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a tough one for sure.
      Thank you my dear. God gave me Beauty for Ashes

      Delete
  4. So encouraging, God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear for reading dear 😊

      Blessings to you too πŸ˜‡

      Delete
  5. Woooooh that's some deep level of vulnerability. Thanks for sharing.

    I have a cousin who has the same condition. She wears trousers, stockings and long dresses and skirts the whole time. Sharing sharing, this will really encourage her...

    That's the spirit girl πŸ€›πŸΏ
    You are beautiful, inside out 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole 😊
      Thank you for reading 😘😘
      About your cousin, you can get to share it with her. I'm sure she'll feel encouraged. And at least you're more informed so you'll also help the other family members appreciate her and get medical attention too.

      Delete
  6. What a great and profound testimony. You've been through a lot of issues but that smile over there is a proof that you are a strong and resilient woman. You're beautiful and you will remain beautiful despite eczema.
    Let nobody takes that smile out of your face.


    God bless you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veridique 😊
      Thank you for your kind words. My smile is here to stay πŸ˜€

      Amen and blessings to you too 😊

      Delete
  7. I love this Grace ,thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beyond lovely. We may or may not be aware everyday we learn to love a different part of ourselves physically and emotionally. You are and have always been an overcomer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sweetheart. I agree, everyday we learn to love ourselves more.
      I'm encouraged. Keeping the overcomer mindset.

      Delete
  9. This is inspiring, People are so quick to judge and see the glory but do not listen to the story. I have never noticed that in your legs! Your indeed fearfully and wonderfully made Wanja. "Kamwithua" hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sang for reading 😊Sure, we love getting to conclusions before knowing the process.

      Kumbe you understood what kamwithua meant πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  10. Wow! Remember I said Finally coz it has been a minute since you last posted and you had told me in 2015 your are never confident about your legs. And I was part of"why do you wear this dress(reasonably short you say) with stockings... I never knew your battle. But again sijaona hizo spots zilikuwa zinakuogopesha I think they are just in your mind... Nevertheless am so proud of your growthπŸ‘Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sweetie 😊
      Finalllyyy πŸ’ƒ πŸ’ƒ
      I remember opening up to you at some point. Thank you for understanding. It was so bad at some point, but I also agree that I over thought about it and I ended up being so self conscious.

      Delete
  11. Don’t live worried. There is a force working for you right in the middle of the storm that is greater than any force trying to stop you What looks like it’s going to keep you from your destiny is instead going to launch you into a new level of your destiny. Those obstacles are not going to stop you; they’re going to propel you.

    This is a big time @Gracie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! This is so profound. Thank you Peter 😊
      Yes and Amen.
      Indeed obstacles do push us to greater levels.

      Delete
  12. Wow! It is a testimony... Big ups hun! The Lord has not given us the spirit of fear but of love, power and a sound mind...

    You have blessed some hearts out there...
    Big up! πŸ˜†

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweetheart 😊
      Thank you for your support and understanding 😘😘😘
      We sure are blessed with love, power and a sound mind.

      Delete
    2. I am sincerely touched by your story... The fight is on..indeed you are a warrior...Thank you for sharing this.....

      Delete
    3. Hi dear 😊
      Thank you for reading. We have to keep soldiering on.
      Blessings to you

      Delete
  13. Great testimony ,glory to God you now accepted yourself and you are now encouraging others.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. Amen. We go through stuff so that we will be able to encourage others through it all.
      Blessings to you too 😊

      Delete
  14. This is really great.I almost cried..you are a voice to those who can't find the courage to tell their stories. This just encouraged me to accept who I am and embrace me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggy 😭😭😭
      Thank you so much for taking your time to read this.
      I'm humbled that this piece encouraged you.
      Whatever it is that you might be finding hard to embrace about yourself, just remember that you are not alone.
      Blessings to you dearie 😊

      Delete
  15. ...😊
    This is an awesome share; self love. Interesting read and cool at the same time...big up to your mum as well you the princess she's the wise queenπŸ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maina 😊
      Self love is everything!!

      In deed for mummy is the real MVP.

      Thank you for reading. Be blessed.

      Delete
  16. Thank you for sharing, this is powerful and encourages many as I have seen on the comments. I like the part where you say that “There are times I thought that probably my skin compromised my beauty”. What!!! that’s some level of depth, beauty is not on skin deep, it goes right to the heart.

    Thank you.
    You are an awesome writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dan 😊
      For sure, beauty goes waaaay beyond the skin.

      Asante 😊

      Delete
  17. Absolutely fantastic story continue with the same spirit your now the reason why most of the people with eczema smile again kudos for your gorgeous work God bless you Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Osmane 😊
      Thanks for the kind words even as I attempt to be a voice for those who can't speak for themselves yet.

      Delete
    2. Blessings to you too πŸ™

      Delete
  18. Inspiring dear. That's a nice step coz you have touched someone who probably thought he/she was the only one with the eczema... Na bytha I liked those long dresses. They are good on you though I didn't know you were wearing for a purpose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joshua 😊
      We bless the Lord for that.

      Haha, about the dresses, nilivaa mpaka mwenyewe nikazipenda tu.

      Delete
  19. I have a longer journey with Eczema which at times makes you feel unbeautiful unlike the rest but when you come to terms with it it gets better.Getting tired of the meds at times so let it clear itself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely hear and understand what you mean my dear. I too stopped depending on the meds and using them as part of my daily regimen. I only take them and apply the creams during the flaring up.

      Delete
    2. Thank you James for taking your time to read through.
      Blessings to you 😊

      Delete
  20. Hi swthrt imagine sijawai notice hizo spots nakuona mrembo tu

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi swthrt imagine sijawai notice hizo spots nakuona mrembo tu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ

      I think I was quite good at "hiding them "

      But now they are less noticeable

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts